Sunday 5 May 2013

Early May plot update

Well things are starting to move along. An upturn in temp is always welcome at this time of year and it`s meant I can start to get stuff planted out on the plot and also in the tunnel.
All the Cedrico tomatoes are now planted into final positions and the stump carrots are doing well tucked up under fleece. They are under there for 2 reasons. Firstly, to keep carrot fly off and secondly, the sun gets very strong in there and the fleece protects them a bit because they are still only seedlings.
My Toughball onions are doing well in my homemade compost. I`m not planning on putting any fertilizer on these because the compost was so good in all aspects including N P and K and aslo trace elements. It will be interesting to see how they do.
I also sowed parsnips yesterday. Really late I know but the weather has been so cold I didn`t see the point up until now. Hopefully they won`t be as monstrous as usual !
Last years garlic whuch I saved and planted again looks fantastic. I hope it`s as good as the last lot. All the signs say it will be !
This morning I sowed some cucumber and giant marrow. I`m planting some seeds I got from Peter Glazebrook and some of my own saved seed. Hoping for a better result than last year (which was crap)

I managed to get most of the maincrop potaoes in the ground this week. I planted Kestrel which I leave in as a maincrop although they are really second earlies. They do really well on my plot so I grow them every year. I still have some Bluebelle and Amour to plant this week.





1 comment:

  1. Pete, looks like a good set up
    How is everything looking now and what shows are you doing?

    ReplyDelete